If you are venturing out to shop for a saltwater fishing boat there are a few options and boat accessories you may want to look for. Whether you’re trolling, bottom fishing, kite fishing or deep dropping there are a few boat features to make your day on the water more enjoyable. many of these options will include livewells, rod holders and boat rocket launchers. You will have many things to consider and hopefully this list will guide you in the right direction.
- Livewell: Having a large livewell for your bait fish is mandatory. You should also explore additional options for your livewell system such as livewell lights, clear lids, and oxygen systems. In addition to these options find out how easy it is to fill and empty your system and whether or not water recirculates. Look for round livewells since the lack of corners will cause less injury to your baitfish.
- Large Fishboxes. Nothing worse than having a large catch and not enough storage for that catch. Large fishboxes boxes keep your catch out of the way, your boat organized and your deck clean.
- Boat Console: Pay close attention to your console. Is it a center or side console? Is there ample room to walk around the console? Is there room for all of your desired gauges and electronics? Is there a boat glove box or pull out storage? The boat console is one of the most important aspects of your boat and you should ensure it is adequate for your style of fishing.
- Non-Skid Decks: Non-skid decks are a safety issue and should be a standard feature on your saltwater fishing boats.
- Lockable Storage: Make sure you have plenty of rod storage. There is nothing worse than having a bunch of rods scattered all over your boat. Make sure you have ample storage with locks to keep your rods safe and secure.
- Rod Holders: Whether fishing or riding from spot to spot having plenty of rod holders will keep your boat organized and rods ready to go when needed. The more rod holders the better.
- Tackle Storage: Not having enough tackle storage is a common problem with most saltwater fishing boats. Both large and small boat models typically are lacking enough tackle storage. Many times you may need to add custom tackle storage even when purchasing the best boats on the market.
- Fresh water Washdown: This is a comfort feature that you will enjoy. For those rough days or hot days there is nothing better than fresh water washdown systems to rinse your boat or yourself.
- Anchor Storage: This is often times overlooked when shopping for the perfect boat. Look for a designated anchor storage system. On larger boats I would consider an anchor system.
- Boat Rocket Launcher: If you’re shopping for larger saltwater fishing boats or sport fishing boats you will want to consider a boat rocket launcher. Rocket launchers can have additional options such as rod holders, work trays or storage.
While we cannot possibly consider all of the standard and optional features available in today’s boats. Hopefully of few of these options will give you something to consider when shopping for your next saltwater fishing boat.